What does Student Wellness have to offer?
Toggle ItemWorkout at the Fitness Center
If you're into cardio or strength training, we've got equipment for you. Come workout in one of our fitness centers:
Open Monday to Saturday from 6:00am - 9:45pm
- Student Fitness Center: SFH 293A
- Women's Fitness Center: RB 161F (in women's locker room)
- Faculty/Staff Weight Room: SFH 134
Don't forget to bring your Facility use wristband and your BYU ID card with you to the gym!
If you're new to the gym and are nervous to begin, check out our Wellness Coaching program.
Toggle ItemPlay sports with your friends
Toggle ItemEnjoy Competition? Join an Intramural Sports team
Every semester, you have the chance to join an intramural sports team and play against other BYU students. Sports tournaments include dodgeball, soccer, volleyball, innertube water polo, basketball, and wallyball (to name a few).
Become an intramural champion and earn the highly coveted Intramural Champion t-shirt!
Visit our website or stop by our office (RB 145) for more information.
Toggle ItemWant to learn a new skill? Register for one of our SWELL activity classes
Did you know that you can get college credit by taking an activity class? From Volleyball to Zumba to Indoor Rock climbing, we are sure that we have a fitness class you will enjoy! These classes are great for people of all skill levels.
When registering for classes, look for SWELL - Student Wellness.
Toggle ItemJoin us for free YFitness classes
We offer aerobic, circuit, strength, and functional fitness classes such as High Fit, cycling, and yoga. There is no need to enroll to come to these evening fitness classes. Just be sure to pick up your facility use wristband at the RB 112 Info Desk before you drop in!
Toggle ItemMeet with a Wellness Coach
Our wellness coaches offer a free service to all BYU students. Your coach will meet with you during the semester and help you set goals and/or learn about wellness topics of your choosing. They can orient you to gym equipment, create a personalized exercise routine, or consult on social strategies, nutrition, managing stress, and more.
Sign up today!
Toggle ItemNeed a goal? Participate in our Lazy Triathlon challenge
Have you ever wanted to complete a full Iron Man, but you don't feel like you are in shape yet? Sign up for the Lazy Triathlon in March or November!
For this challenge, you have ONE MONTH to run 26.2 miles, bike 112 miles, and swim 2.4 miles. You will earn the prized Lazy Triathlon t-shirts upon completion.
Toggle ItemWant to be a BYU athlete? Join one of our Extramural Sports teams
Our Extramural Sports program gives athletes the chance to represent our university on one of the following teams:
- Men/Women's Rugby
- Men/Women's Lacrosse
- Men's Soccer
Check our our website to learn how to try out for, support, or watch one of our nationally acclaimed teams.
Toggle ItemEnjoy the outdoors? Rent equipment from outdoors unlimited
Whether you're mountain biking, rafting, or spending the day at the park, we've got the gear for you. Our rental products are available to both students and the community; we offer low prices and high adventure.
Visit our store:
2201 N Canyon Rd
Provo, Utah 84604
Toggle ItemUnfamiliar with our facilities? Check them out during Midnight Madness
At the beginning of each school year, we host a late night event and open up all the facilities for students to enjoy. Activities include YFitness classes, open-play basketball and volleyball, rock-climbing wall, and a Spikeball tournament.
Follow us on Instagram to learn about all of our events!
General Facility Use Information
Toggle ItemCan I use BYU recreation facilities?
ALL PATRONS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR BYU STUDENT WELLNESS ISSUED WRISTBANDS WHILE UTILIZING THE FACILITIES. A wristband indicates that you have signed a liability waiver and are eligible to utilize the facilities. Come to the Richards Building Information Desk (RB 112) to fill out the waiver and obtain your wristband.
Current BYU affiliates (BYU students, faculty/staff, BYU retirees, and their dependents) are eligible to obtain wristbands. Full time students and faculty get the wristband for free (full time is considered 12+ credits in Fall and Winter and 6+ credits in Spring/Summer combined). Part-time students and faculty are able to purchase a wristband, which is $50 per semester ($25 for Summer term only).
Follow this link for a detailed description of facility use eligibility.
Toggle ItemCan I buy a guest pass?
ALL GUESTS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR BYU STUDENT WELLNESS ISSUED WRISTBANDS WHILE UTILIZING THE FACILITIES. Wristbands can be obtained at the Richards Building Information Desk (RB 112).
Guest passes can be purchased for $8 up to a week in advance, but are only valid for the specific date you select. Guests MUST be accompanied by a sponsor with a current BYU ID and facility use privileges. All guests must sign the facility use waiver.
You may also purchase a guest pass online HERE, prior to obtaining your wristband.
Guest pass purchases are not a guarantee of court availability. Your BYU sponsor must make any necessary reservations.
Toggle ItemWhat is the workout attire policy?
In Student Wellness facilities, all patrons (including student athletes) are required to wear proper workout attire for purposes of hygiene, safety, and protection of equipment.
- Shirts, shorts/pants, and appropriate footwear are required at all times and undergarments must be covered by clothing previously listed.
- Shoulders and torso must be covered (no tank tops or crop tops).
- Shorts must come down to at least mid-thigh (no running shorts, tennis skirts, etc.). Exercise leggings are permitted. Pants with belts and/or exposed metal (buttons, snaps, rivets and/or zippers) are not permitted.
- Appropriate footwear includes clean, non-marking, closed toed shoes with a sole and secured to the foot. Open-toe shoes, flip flops, Crocs or other shoes with no heel or other support are prohibited.
- Additionally, patrons can help minimize disease exposure for themselves and others by limiting skin contact to equipment and others.
If you are not dressed in proper workout attire, our employees WILL ask you to leave or change clothes. We have the right to place a hold on the account and revoke facility use privileges of frequent offenders.
Toggle ItemCan I reserve BYU recreation facilities?
The following spaces are available for reservations by BYU patrons. All other Student Wellness areas are available according to the posted schedules on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Indoor Tennis Courts - Reservations cost $5 per hour/per court and must be made in person at the Information Desk. Reservations can be made up to one week in advance with a maximum of one hour per net ID per day. The individual making the reservation, and all other participants, must have wristbands (silicone, paper, or guest).
- Wood Floor Gymnasiums - Reservations only permitted on Monday evenings for FHE. Current BYU YSA Bishops may submit a reservation request by contacting campus scheduling (801-422-3134). The Bishop who makes the reservation must be present during the event.
- Racquetball Courts - Reservations must be made in person at the Information Desk. There is no fee associated with this reservation.
Toggle ItemWhat is considered proper use of the facilities?
The university offers the use of the Smith Field House and Richards Building facilities to BYU students, employees, and dependents who have a current BYU identification card and activity privileges. Activity facilities and services are intended to provide personal fitness and recreational opportunities for BYU students and eligible BYU employees and not necessarily for those outside the BYU community. Space and access privileges should not be used for scheduling private lessons or hosting of practices or competitions for outside organizations, teams, or individuals.
Toggle ItemMore questions?